Sunday, August 13, 2006

candles/flowers at cemetary

A very large and green cemetary stands in uptown Toronto. Within the cemetary is a vast array of monuments, headstones, and flatstones. In the north section of the cemetary is a headstone in memory of my mother's paternal grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, and two uncles and aunts. These relatives ventured to Canada from what used to be Yugoslavia. Unlike his two older sisters, my grandfather was born in Canada. He worked in tailor shops on Spadina during the depression so he could go study dentistry in the early 1940's. It's a shame my daughters never got to meet him. He was a beautiful person. A few hundred meters south of this headstone is a flatstone, which marks the burial location of my mother's maternal grandparents. My (maternal) grandmother's father came to Canada in 1929. He toiled in Toronto, working for a coal company and then for Massey-Harris/Ferguson, before his wife, daughter, and son were able to join him in 1937. The flatstone, which marks these two ancestors of mine, looks bronze and has an intricate floral design providing a boarder. When my Mom, SJ, K, my niece and I arrived in the cemetary yesterday afternoon we easily found the tombstone in the north section. However, we had quite a time locating the flatstone in the south area. My mom hadn't been to the cemetary in a while and we eventually drove to the head office and got the lot number, and some maps to help us in our search. Locating the lot number represented a second challenge as the flatstone itself was obstructed by an overgrown bush. After my wife found the flatstone we drove home, went on a couple of errands, got some gardening tools, and returned to the cemetary. Actually, my mom, Moe, K and I returned for part two. We trimmed the bush covering the flatstone, and then washed the flatstone with a rather large bottle of water. We also laid some flowers and lit candles at both the headstone and flatstone. I must remember to do this more often.