Friday, August 11, 2006

kensington market / cafe / empanadas

Strolled around timewarped haze of Wycliffe College and King's College Circle with my class yesterday afternoon. We eventually made our way to the blissful coffee Valhalla that is Kensington Market. We went to one my favourite coffee shops in the world and relaxed for a while in the back patio. After finishing our vast assortment of caffinated drinks (both hot and cold) we split up, and I went for dinner with M-H, M, and A. The three of us dined at a Chilean restaurant I enjoy on Augusta Ave. We had empanadas. I had no problems finishing my two empanadas while each of my students couldn't finish one (except M-H, who had a very small one). Although the restaurant is pretty popular, it is as of yet unblemished by its popularity. Poking around the clothing shops in the market was very appropriate for my class as we have recently discussed Carnaby Street and Regent Street in learning the witty song, "Dedicated Follower of Fashion." It was one of the four songs we performed at a talent show night. The other three songs we performed were "Cavity" (by me), "MMM MMM MMM MMM" (by the Crash Test Dummies), and "The Lottery Song" (by Harry Nilsson). We had our celebration at Strachan Hall, where we have breakfast and lunch everyday. It looks like the dining hall at Hogwarts. The talent show included food from Spain and Japan, and songs and dancing from Spain, Mexico, Japan, and Taiwan. My second dinner was particularly delicious.