Saturday, June 17, 2006

swatch

For over ten years I have worn an Ironman watch. Today, I bought a Swatch. Here's what happened: During lunch I ran to the Eaton Centre. Yes, even in this suffocating heat I ran (foolish me). Unfortunately, however, I only had time to glance at a few designs. Browsing through this vast array of watches at the Swatch boutique quickly made it apparent that it would be quite impossible to choose the perfect Swatch for me during lunch. So, after an all too brief time of pondering I sprinted back to work. Then, I returned to the boutique after finishing class and really went to town with the choosing/browsing. Would it be a snappy design a la James Bond? Naw, too heavy. Would it be something as intrepid a clear face design (where you can actually see the mechanics inside)? Naw, I got enough of that playing Mechano as a kid. The watch I eventually chose has a pretty neutral design, which is handy for me because I have little sense when it comes to matching things. The face and wristband are both black while the numbers and hands are white. It's pretty much a classic Swatch design from the glorious halicon days of the 80's when Swatches were all the rave. (I remember saving up money to buy one at Sporting Life long, long ago. I seem to remember it setting me back $48 in 1985). Today's watch was $75 and worth every penny.