Friday, January 27, 2006

jan 25 - birthday, k's playschool

I arranged to be free on my birthday morning so I could spend some time at K's play school. Alison, K's teacher, took the kids on a little tour of the first floor early on in the day. She has been teaching the kids how to walk together in a line. This is a chore that is palpable to those who have ever taught the primary ages. I'm sure that K's JK teacher will appreciate this September. On returning to class Alison and Sharon facilitated a prescheduled fire drill. The kids knew their stuff. On completing the fire drill practice/Q & A, the kids had carpet-time with Alison. Alison led them through their morning routines involving dialoguing on the day/date, weather, and a couple of letters and numbers. Helpers got their hands stamped, and K of course was a helper. (Go, K, go!) Then, the kids went to three different tables to work on various art activities. I was helping one group out with their 'orange' pictures at the round table. K made an 'orange' picture and then promptly coloured in a lovely two at the smaller recangular table. Following art the children had a snack of cheese and crackers. Later on, SJ came by and around dismissal time my dad came. It was a lot of fun spending the morning with K at school. I got to see her teachers and classmates and got a lovely picture of how she spends her Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings. I am very glad I made time for this.

In the afternoon I taught HSP at my old school. I got to see some old friends and students. It was my first visit to the school in quite a while. After teaching, I strolled up to UT for my evening lab. Stats class is much easier with D, and his sense of humour. After nightschool, SJ and K got me Vietnamese for dinner and Porteguese pastries for dessert. A lovely dinner. Birthdays should really be one week affairs.