Wednesday, December 20, 2006

timeless flight

I received Timeless Flight (a bio of the Byrds) in the mail today. For some odd reason this book is not available in Canada & the US, which is a shame because Johnny Rogan is a great writer & the Byrds are a superb band. While I was familiar with their more well-known tunes, I really explored the catalogue of The Byrds around the time K was born & they very quickly became one of my favourites. Like so many great bands the Byrds truly experienced periods of growth and transition, visible in albums such as their first two records, Younger than Yesterday, The Notorious Byrd Brothers, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, and The Ballad of Easy Rider. My arsenal of Byrds CDs now occupies bookshelf space in close proximity to Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, and Donovan. Needless to day, I'm really looking forward to exploring Timeless Flight.