Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Byung-ki Hwang

Went for a run downtown today.  I ran to Sejong Road, sped past the big statue of General Yi Sun-shin (who defeated the Japanese navy in the 1590's), and hurried north to Gyeong-bok-gung Palace (originally built by Taejo in the 14th century).  Where was I going?  I was heading to a bookshop. 
 
On the southeast corner of the Gyeong-bok-gung Palace wall is the Seoul Selection Bookshop.  It's got a great selection of books about Korea.  I had seen a book that interested me there during yesterday's fruitless shopping spree.  I thought about that book last night while drifting off to sleep, and I decided to run to that shop today and purchase that book.  It's called Conversations with Kayageum Master Byung-ki Hwang
 
Master Hwang plays the kayagum, a traditional Korean instrument, and fuses traditional Korean music with his compositions.  One of his more famous compositions is called The Silk Road.  He's written another piece to complement Korean tea ceremonies.  The kayagum is an extremely challenging instrument.  Unlike western guitars, it does not have a long neck.  Rather, the strings have to be bent to raise and lower notes. 
 
Ciao