Sunday, July 18, 2004

COEX, Aquarium, slide

Met up with an old friend and former student yesterday.  Suk Ja, Katie, and I trekked on a subway journey to the south-east part of Seoul.  We met up in the COEX mall.  The COEX mall is a lovely shopping area attached to Seoul's largest trade centre.  I think its a lovely mall because it has a big book store.  That's how I rate malls.
 
My old friend joined us as we toured through the COEX Aquarium.  This was the first time we went on an outing specifically geared to Katie.  She was very happy to see real life versions of many of her dear friends from Finding Nemo.  There was an amazing corridor on one of the lower levels, which ran under one of the larger tanks.  Both sides of the corridor were plexiglass as was the ceiling.  The sharks had quite a few teeth.
 
Later, my old friend took us out for dinner with two other couples.  We ate bo-sam.  I cannot describe bo-sam.  It feels like roast beef to me.  It's nothing like roast beef, but if you enjoy roast beef, imagine a delicious Korean beef dish that includes a soy-based sauce instead of apple sauce.  My friend wouldn't let us pay for the dinner, which was certainly very expensive.  After dinner we all went to a singing room.  My friend and I sang Hey Jude together.  He sang well, and to balance his good singing, I didn't sing very well. 
 
After dinner, we all went to the one of the couples' flats.  They had a daughter one day younger than Katie.  In their living room was a plastic slide.  Katie truly loved that slide, but it also made her very energetic.  If we tried to take her off of the slide she screamed.  When we tried to put her to bed, she screamed and stomped her feet.  Katie is not yet two.  I've heard that two-year-old children can be a bit of a challenge.  Katie gave us a little appetizer of this last night.  Is this the beginning of her anti-establishment phase?  I suppose she'll be singing Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, and Peter, Paul, and Mary next! 
 
Today was not as busy as yesterday.  I can sum up today in thirteen words: I ran, bought an interesting book, went to a coffee shop, and studied. 
 
Ciao