Friday, September 30, 2005

supplying #14-15 & a jays game

Taught at the same school for the past two days. Yesterday I taught Gr. 5. I guess the kids wanted to know if I'm the kind of person who really gives detentions because they ended up getting one. They found out.

Today I taught Grades 7 and 8. Again, I had some kids call my detention bluff. I like to use guilt sometimes. At one point, as we got closer to the end of the day, I told a Grade 7 art class that I honestly didn't want to give people a detention, and that they could lower the length of the DT, but it would all be up to their behaviour. I said that not everyone would have a DT, just the kids I've had to talk to. One guy (who was pretty focused) then raised his hand. I acknowledged him. "Can I have a detention?" he asked. "Really?" I asked. "Yeah." "Okay," I answered. Well, he was one of the kids who got to sit around and chat about mutual respect at the end of the day. Then, after a while (a rather longish while) I turned to that guy and asked him why on earth he asked to be included in the detention. "I didn't think it would be so boring," was his reply. "Are you going to ask for a detention again?" I inquired. "I don't think so," he stated.

I went to the ballgame after work. My dad and one of his friends took me to see the Jays absolutely embarass the Kansas City Royals, 10-1. We had dinner at a pub on the Danforth before the game. Why do I always have coffee? Why on earth did I ask for my burger to be cooked rare? I always have burgers well done. I don't think I'm ever going to order a burger cooked rare ever again. No way, no how.