Thursday, September 15, 2005

supplying #5

Taught JK/SK today for a good friend of my sister. Both am and pm classes had just under 30 students in them. The classes were a lot of fun. I'll share some info about four little ones who cried in four different situations:

Situation #1: The mom of one boy was supposed to pick up her son early. As lunch dismissal approached, the boy kept asking about when his mom would arrive. He soon tired of hearing me say the words "soon" and "later."

Situation #2: One girl in the afternoon had a tiff with a boy. I asked them to come over to the carpet area with me to talk about what happened. The girl did not like this idea. Not in the slightest.

Situation #3: Sometimes JK & SK kids don't want to be separated from the person who drops them off. In the morning, a little girl's grandmother left the classroom at drop off time, but stuck around. The little girl cried and cried. She saw her gran through the window a few times, which only intensified her deep sense of loss. The gran popped into the classroom and then left again.

Situation #4: In the afternoon, a dad dropped his daughter off. She stuck pretty close to him & when he slipped off the crying erupted. The educational assistant was superb.

Whenever kids cry in class now I think about my daughter who is going be in JK next year.