Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Master Hwang: the sequel

Ran up Namsan nonstop today.  Everyone told me not to go.  They said that running up a mountain with a knapsac filled with books on a hot Seoul summer day was a bad idea.  They were right.  They were right and I was wrong.

I bought a Byung CD today.  It was 16 500 won, but I only had 12 000 won on me.  I think the shopkeeper thought I was very poor because I took out my change purse and showed and she just let me have the CD for 12 000 won.  I didn't have the last laugh though.  It seems that in addition to composing music in the traditional mode, Master Hwang also dabbles in abstract composition.  Now I have a CD has about 20 minutes of great kayagum music, and 20 minutes of some very strange (and sometimes frightening) sound patterns.  I'm going back to that shop tomorrow, and plead for a trade.

I'm reading a book about North Korea now.  It's called North Korea Through the Looking Glass.  When I lay down on the floor and read my book, Katie sometimes lays beside me with a subway map or a recipt and pretends to read.

Ciao