Thursday, September 28, 2006

hank aaron territory

If you asked me ten years ago who might venture into Hank Aaron territory, I wouldn't have guessed Barry Bonds. Sure, he was due to reach 500 homers, but 700+? No way. While Bonds was certainly a stellar player, I would have put my money on Albert Belle.

Albert Belle played his final game on October 1st 2000, just a month after turning 34. He limped through his final season in agony and still managed 42 RBIs in his final 65 games. Heck, Belle even homered in his final game. So, shortly after his 34th birthday Belle had a healthy total of 381 dingers and 1287 RBIs. Before that final season Belle had reached 30 homers and 100 RBIs eight seasons in a row, a feat shared with three pretty good players. Want to know their names? Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Jimmie Foxx.

Yeah, before degenerative osteoarthritis ended his career my money was on Belle. I though he'd get 500 dingers at 37 (or maybe even 36). Then I though he'd eventually push into Robinson-Mays territory and stall around 600 or 625.

To be perfectly honest though I didn't think anyone would reach Hank Aaron territory. Boy, was I wrong.