Tuesday, September 12, 2006

things k says

K, my first daughter, often says interesting things and unfortunately I don't keep a very good record of them.

It was in April of 2005 that I first noticed K self-correct her syntax. We were still living in our condo at the time and during a conversation at the dinner table she refered to the condo as "my house" and then instantly self-corrected to "our house."

Last weekend an interesting program appeared on the Treehouse network. I cannot recall the name of the show but I do know that we had never seen that particular program before. It was a cartoon depicting a house in the country with a hilly background amidst a slow sunrise. Most of the objects in the cartoon, including the sun and the house, were partially clocks in one form or another. As the sun rose into the sky I asked K, "Is that a sun or clock?" With confidence K replied, "It's a sunclock daddy."

Three days ago I bought K the anniversary DVD edition of Annie (directed by John Huston). With some slight fastforwarding, K has now seen the film two times. Her favourite number is the one where Grace, Daddy Warbucks, and Annie go to the movie theatre and watch Camille. As K has accompanied me on countless trips to coffee shops around town over the years she quite naturally refers to Daddy Warbucks as Daddy Starbucks.