Saturday, September 09, 2006

The King and the Clown - review

Context
Frantic is a suitable word to describe my process of acquiring a ticket to see The King and the Clown. All last week I reflected on what to see on Friday evening in a state of blissful procrastonation. As Thursday drew to a close I finally tried to get a ticket only to learn that it was too late, although it would be possible to order via the internet from 7am Friday morning. After waking up at 6:40am I sprang to my computer and spent a few tormented minutes waiting impatiently for my homepage to solidify. On submitting my ticket order (which was no small task) I experienced the anticlimax of learning that later in the day I would receive an email informing me as to whether or not my request had been approved. At some point in the morning I received that email confirming my belief that I have good karma. After finishing my last class at 3:34pm I quickly got my classroom in order and then sauntered into the hallway to cheerifuly nag my students as they languidly sorted out their lockers. By 4:15pm I stood before the ticket booth at the Paramount theatre, ticket in hand. The Paramount is a only a few blocks from my school so it was more of an unimpressive sprint than a marathon.

Review
I was moved by the film. The King and the Clown was the top grossing South Korean film of 2005, and I would say this status is well deserved. The ensemble cast, a group of relatively unknown actors, had superb chemistry alternating between moments of tenderness and abhorance. While the three key leads (the king and the two actors) formed a doomed triangle, the supporting actors provided some effective, and sometimes bittersweet comic relief. A number of connections with Shakespeare's King Lear emerged throughout the film, including tension between perception and lack of perception (among kings, actors, clowns, and servents), and blindness. The landscapes of Korea's mountanious countryside were not depicted often but were nonetheless visually impressive. This is a film about finding and grasping relationships of love and support within a world that can be quite harsh. In that sense, as the producer reflected in the follow-up Q & A, the story is universal, as we all struggle with tensions stemming from social expectations and perpetually interact with the depths of our pasts.

Follow-Up
After the Q & A of The King and the Clown drew to a close I gathered my gear and ran up to Yonge and Bloor. After meeting J & C in front of Spring Rolls the three of us found a pub where we ate and chatted about our films. They saw 7 Years and were quite unimpressed. I almost joined them at the Varsity and it seems that I made the right decision (again proving I have exceptional karma).

Spending
Here is a breakdown of my spending on Friday:
2 cups of coffee & 1 muffin = $6
1 ticket to The King and the Clown = $25
1 double americano & coissant = $4
1 medium-sized bag of popcorn = $6
1/2 plate of nachos & 1 pop (after film) = $10