Sunday, July 04, 2004

combat rain season

Crazy heavy rain today. Rain season is officially underway. What is the best way to combat rain season? I don't know. But a very good way to combat rain season is by going shopping. We went shopping with family today, journeying to two places.

First, we drove to the big mall at World Cup Stadium, which is in the west end of town. (Actually, since the Greater Seoul Area exceeds 18 million, I don't think Seoul could be called a town) I got a sporty t-shirt and my wife got a pair of sunglasses. Despite what you might think, my wife is not a sunglasses collector. Katie had got her hands on my wife's last pair of sunglasses and made some rather unfortunate adjustments to them. Katie didn't get anything at the mall. Katie going empty handed was in no way connected to the sunglasses incident.

After our World Cup Stadium shopping quest, we drove to Lotte Department Store in Myeongdong. We spent a very long time in the underground parking lot, and when we finally got to the car elevator, we had to get out. I was terribly disappointed. Riding in a car elevator would have made the exceedingly long wait worthwhile. I suppose I'll have to be content with my memory of riding in a car elevator last summer in Shinchon-Dong. I had a few coffees while shopping at Lotte, so navigating Katie (both with and without her stroller) through the crowds was caffeine-powered. Katie noticed every aquarium and every fish picture in the department store. Lotte has quite a few aquariums and fish pictures. Katie pointed at, observed, and even said bye to every fish she saw. Katie lives a very 'Finding Nemo'-centred world.

Ciao