Saturday, July 03, 2004

Seodaemun Prison

I ran to Seodaemun Prison today. Perhaps that sounds foreboding. Don't be scared. Seodaemun Prison no longer functions as a prison. It was used to house Korean independence fighters during the Japanese Colonial Period (1910-1945).

On the north side of the Seodaemun Prison wall is a park which features a dirt track. Places like dirt tracks and park trails are magical places for runners, as they offer surfaces that are infinitely easier on the knees. I made my way to the prison, then ran on the track in some pretty extreme humidity. I ran lap after lap after lap. There were quite a few people on the track and I lapped everyone numerous times. This would be a pretty impressive fact if I didn't tell you that everyone else was actually speed walking.

Ciao