Saturday, August 07, 2004

the big read / the big run

It's Sunday. The half marathon is two weeks away. I ran for an hour and a half today and felt very good running. I'm looking forward to the big run!

I also bought three books. Foolishly, I bought the books before I began the run, so I had to carry the books in my backpack while running. The 4th Harry Potter books is very heavy.

Why did I have to buy three new books? Isn't that going over the top? No. With all of my commuting last week, I finished reading all of my books. During the week I enjoyed devouring: Target North Korea, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Breadwinner, and Conversations with Kaiagum Master Hwang Byung Ge. Four very interesting and very different books.

Here is a bit about the new books I bought: When My Name Was Keoko was written by Linda Sue Park. The story is about a child's experience in Korea during the colonial period. During this time, Korean kids had to speak Japanese in school and take on Japanese names. My mother-in-law grew up during this period. Comfort Woman was written by Nora Okja Keller. It's about the life of a Korean who spends her life coming to grips with her past. The third book I got is not about Korea. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was written by J. K. Rowling. Since finishing The Prisoner of Azkaban, I've been wondering what Mr. Potter and his chums have been up to. I wonder if Draco Malfoy will learn some manners in this book. Professor Snape too!

Ciao