Friday, July 30, 2004

The Great Gatsby

"In my younger and more vulnerable days my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."
This is how Nic Carroway opens The Great Gatsby.
During the course of that novel, Nic had a glimpse into another world.

Last night we had such a glimpse. A business associate and friend of my sister-in-law took us out along with an old friend of his. We were taken to a hwae (raw fish) restaurant. I have been to many hwae restaurants. However, unlike my hosts, I have to look at the prices before ordering. The dinner was superb.
Our hosts paid people to drive us around and wait for us wherever we went all evening and into the morning. I've taken a taxi before, but I've never paid someone to wait for me for an entire evening. I suppose such a thing would be possible, it would have to be a very short evening.
After dinner, we were driven to out of town, to a park. In the park we were able to see a very nice river view on a patio. The only reason our hosts had us driven to this place was for our enjoyment. It was enjoyable.
Then, we were driven back into town and went to a no-dai-bang to sing. I chose Abba once again. I discovered that extremely wealthy people also love Abba.
We got home at 2:30 in the morning. I'm very glad that I had the day off today.

Ciao